Thursday, April 9, 2009

Different Directions

Ok, by this time in a trip, we...well ok "I"... need time alone. DH never says he does, but he knows "I" do and is fine with that now. It took a year or two of marriage to work that one out. He stays in to do some work and I go to Buckingham Palace to see..no not the queen...but an exhibit that includes Bruegel paintings. If I recall it was 8 pounds and dh had no interest in that.

This time I get on the bus, and get off at Victoria and walk down Buckingham Palace Road to the ...palace.

side wall of palace

I see this sign which is rather obvious but one must be sure these days. I don't plan to trespass and 'help the police with their enquiries' as they say.

sign outside Buckingham Palace

Seeing the entrance and no crowds, I decide that lunch 1st might be a good idea.

Entrance to exhibit

There's nothing quite as good as breakfast for lunch esp when someone makes it for you.
my lunch


With a happy tummy, I now have energy to walk the marble halls again. I never do see that much of the palace but my point was the Bruegels.

Ok, I'll pay
That part of the exhibit was small but enough to satisfy me. I continued walking round the rooms with a portion of the gazillion gifts the royal family has been given over the years. It was numbing. btw, the gift shop in the palace and the similar one across the street on Bucks Palace Road have very nice souvenirs but nothing I 'needed'. I did want one thing for my grandson that I finally found in one of those cheesy shops - an underground 'bar' towel that he can use in his sport kit.
the Bruegels I wanted to see
I have no recollection of the rest of the day and neither of us had pictures so I will presume it was a rest and recuperation day with Sainsburys or Waitrose for dinner. That kind of break is good too, with a book or a football match on the telly.

No comments: